Do you want to find out how to download a YouTube video directly from your browser without the need to visit any odd-looking website wich may contain malicious spyware? Here is a quick guide that will help you do just that!
Just recently I wanted to download a video from one of our concerts to keep for my record. However, I wasn’t really up for trying any of the websites that offer that service because they look too suspicious.
Additionally, I preferred to download the HD version of the video and most of these sites didn’t even offer that option.
These are the basic steps:
- You find the link to the video from the page
- Swap the html coding with characters
- Paste it on your browser and the download will begin
Yes, it’s that simple!
Lets say I want to download the following video, which I own and uploaded on youtube, but for some reason I lost my personal copy on my computer. This is what I would do:
- Open the video on YouTube and select on the appropriate quality. Lets say 720p.
- Right click on a blank space on the page and select “View Page Source“
- Search for “,url“
- Highlight and copy the code that starts right after from “http…” until before the first slash
- Copy the new url that just appeared, paste it on your browser and hit enter to open it.
- Voila! Your download will start immediately! (In some browsers, such as my chrome, it may actually open a preview of the file. Just right click and “Save As”.)
For your convenience I also made a video tutorial that shows the above process.
Do not forget to go by the copyright licences! Only download videos you own and you need for archiving purposes!
Q: When I open the decoded URL, my video download doesn’t start automatically. How can I download the video?
A: Many browsers try to preview the video instead of downloading it. In that case simply “Right Click” and “Save As”